Thursday, November 15, 2012

Let's try this again...


Wow, it’s hard to believe I started this blog over a year ago, and then pretty much gave up as soon as I started. I had so much I wanted to do, but time just got away from me. In retrospect, these posts look rather silly to me. It’s not because my opinions have changed (hell, I think they've been reinforced, if anything), it’s the pretty amateurish writing. Well, that and the fact that there’s only three of them. I’m not saying I've gotten all that better since then, but I’d like to think I've improved a little bit.

This time, though, I think I’ll have a much better go.  For one, I've actually got a plan! It always helps to have a plan, right? Plus, I've gotten a pretty big kick in the pants to get something done. My friends are all doing creative things with their lives, making an attempt to make a living off what they love. It’s hard to watch them and not want to be a part of that. While this blog isn't anywhere near as close to what they've been doing, it’s a step in the right direction. If I can push myself to write original content for this blog, I might finally have the drive to write that movie script my buddy’s been pushing me to do.

Here’re just a few ideas I’ve come up with so far:

Comic Reviews – I love to talk comics. I talk about comics the way sports fans talk about their favorite teams, and going to pick up my comics on Wednesdays is what I live for, it’s my equivalent to going to church on Sundays. I’m not thinking of doing anything elaborate, just a brief write-up of everything I pick up on Wednesdays, plus it’ll give me a chance to talk about what I love and loath about current comic trends.

Why I Should Write the X-Men – yeah, I know I’m stealing this bit from MGK’s site, but I love this kind of thing. I love to hear other people’s pitches for comics, and I love to talk about my own. I don’t ever plan doing a Legion or Dr. Strange version and I don’t think MGK wants to do an X-Men one either, so I don’t think I’m stepping on anybody’s toes. I also think I’m a lot more cynical than him, too – I’m pretty sure I’ll never get a chance to write my proposed series for Marvel, so I’ll give more details.

Rants – this is what I’m all about, I love to rant about comics. I can rant about what I like, what I hate, trends in the industry that rub me the wrong way, creators that piss me off – there’s so much material to write about out there.

I know it’s not much, but it’s a start. So yeah, that’s my mission statement – post something. Anything. And see where that takes me. I do have some specific ideas though.

No comments:

Post a Comment