Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sup...


I was going to title this "Greetings, True Believers!" but I thought it was too cute.  Plus, it doesn't really fit with the pic does it?  Famous Marvel writer quote and a DC cover - just seems like one of those bad contradiction Starburst commercials.  One had to go, and it wasn't going to be the cover of my favorite first issue ever.  Get it?  It's my first blog post... not funny if I have to explain it, right?  Still, you have to love those Kevin Maguire "funny faces."

Okay, now lets see how many blog cliches I can work into one post, shall we?  So in case you can't tell from the title of this page, I'm a college student.  And I like comics.  And I like to rant.  It's as simple as that.  I was thinking instead of using the word rant, I  could class it up a bit with something like "essays," "musings" or some other BS we make up to make ourselves feel superior.  But lets be honest - comic fans rant.  We do.  We get way too involved with our hobby.  I personally think it's part of the charm of the medium.  I mean, you have to have some pretty spectacular stuff going on to get people that excited about 22 pages of drawings of people in tights beating the tar out of each other.  Or maybe it's just a medium that attracts a lot of weirdos, no one can really say for sure.

Now on to the specifics of the page - I plan on just talking about whatever pops into my head when it comes to comics.  It may be what's currently going in the monthly books, older stuff or anything in between.  It may be about stuff I happen to love, something I think is under appreciated, overrated, my feelings on trends, etc.  So long as it ties to comics.  I may sometimes go off on a tangent, but then again it's my blog so... suck it.

Finally, a little bit about myself.  As I said, I'm in college right now, majoring in professional writing and it's my goal to someday work for one of the major publishing companies as a writer.  I've loved super heroes and animation since I was a kid back in the early 90s watching a little show called Batman the Animated Series.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  I hear it has a modest following these days, I could be wrong though.  After that I moved into anime for a while.  Near the end of middle school, I graduated from Shonen Jump trades to Uncanny X-Men Essentials and JLA back-issues.  I've never looked back (okay, that's bullshit, I still love anime!)

My dream gig actually is to write either an X-Men book or Justice League.  I'll probably end up getting stuck with Moon Knight or DC Comics Presents though (not that there's anything wrong with them!)  I also sort of count anime/manga as a part of my comic hobby, but I don't plan on doing much with them on this page.  Not that I won't ever talk about them, it's just that those articles will be few and far between.

So, now that we've gotten introductions out of the way, we can move on to the actual content.  I'll put up my first real post tomorrow, where I'll talk about my feelings on the current trend in comic art.  Don't worry, I'm not going to just post a three page thesis on how much I loath Greg Land.  No, I'm also going to take pot shots at inkers and colorists too!  Why?  'Cause it's a blog, it's my job to indiscriminately spray hate in the general direction of the creators I don't like, sort of like that "cover fire" scene from Predator.  In that case, I'm totally Jesse Ventura.

No comments:

Post a Comment